Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Do it Yourself Filipino CrossBow

Another fun Weekend Project
   
 Many years ago I was stationed in the Philippines
where I picked up a hand crafted crossbow. It impressed me
so much with it's engineering and ingenuity I decided to
try my hand at making one.

You can expect to shoot accurately over 100 feet
With the bow held up at 45 degrees the bolt
should travel 200 feet.
This will be great for small game or
slow Zombies.



Knowing the selection of quality bow material is limited
I settled on the fact that this project will reflect what's
available versus what best. 



A trip to Lowe's Home Center netted me
2 pcs.      1" x 6" x 4'      Poplar
1 pcs.  1/4" x 6" x 4'   Red Oak
1pcs    1" x 2" x 6'      Red Oak
and Titebond water proof glue.


(Note: this is enough wood to build two crossbows) 



I started by laminating the 1/4" oak between the two pieces of Poplar with glue, clamped and left to dry.   


Clamping to a flat surface will help insure a
straight stock.  You can see I drew out the basic shape
once I scaled up the design in order to ensure a better fit
and better performance.   




  Try to keep the edges flush when clamping.



While waiting for the glue to dry I copied the dimensions
from the original bow and scaled it up.
 Below is drawings for the rough cutting of the bow.   

(not to scale) 


I drew out the basic shape then cut it on the band-saw. 



After cutting the top view I cut the side view
and was left with the basic shape.



(Do Not Try to Bend the Bow Until Completely Done)







Using a Rasp file I rounded the edges and shaped the curves
from out of the straight cuts until I had
what looked like a workable bow. 






Cut a tapered bevel into the back side of
the bow that will become the wedge lock
that will hold the bow in place.




 I shifted work to the stock
where I cut out the basic shape on the band-saw.




With a wood rasp file I shaped the stock
to mimic the original.


(Note:  When your done the wood chips should pile up to your ankles) 




Stock Contours
stock length is  29 1/2"





Markings for the first cut in fitting the bow to the stock





The size of the first cut is based on the width of
the bow at the tip.






Before you go any further attempt to fit the bow into
a scrap piece of wood so you know what to expect.





Take you time fitting the bow using a file
 and test the fit often.






With the bow fitted use a router to cut the bolt groove
about 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide. 






Use a dowel wrapped with sandpaper to smooth the groove. 






Mark bow for bolt and flights. 



And cut 





Now for the Fire Control Mechanism
The original used thin scrap metal forged into shape.  







Trigger Detail




I cut the trigger from 1/4" steel and the Pins
are from a 1/8" welding rod.





The trigger pocket





Testing the trigger for fit 




 Assembling of the Fire Control Mechanism





Making of the bow string 

(Note: The how to will show up on a later post) 





The Bolt is a 3/8"  dowel with blue tape feathers
(Bolt length can vary)





Tying the bow can be a challenge here is the original
knot.
I'd tell you how to tie it but I'm struggling with it








As I said, the amount of wood will make two crossbows.
Here is a sneak peek at the next one.





Raw footage from one of the first test shots. 


(I wanted to take a second shot but the knot loosened up)




If you don't see all the information needed to build your own
please leave a comment so I can update.

Thank You and Good Luck



9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I log on to your blog like every week. Your writing style is awesome, keep up the good work!
    Best Hunting Gear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always keep in mind that archery is fun. www.strongnia.com has more information on the crossbow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello would you mind letting me know which web host you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a honest price? Cheers, I appreciate it!

    crossbow hunting

    ReplyDelete

  5. Amazing Article :) Im extremely affected by your blog.I’m happy that you simply shared this useful info with us.I am quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff right here!
    visit our website

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How deep did you drill the hole for the pins?

    ReplyDelete
  8. aloha, quick question I bought one of these from a neighbor who initially priced at 150 now says she looked up bow and in 1800.00 exactly the bow you made? Any advice

    ReplyDelete