Friday, August 8, 2014

Child's Musical Rocker

No battery's Required.
This mid century rocker would not
meet today's standards for child
safety yet it is still highly collectible. 

(Click on photo to enlarge)





With a layer of rust
it was no wounder why
the music stopped.



After soaking the mechanism 
for several days I disassembled it 
and removed as much of the rust as
possible.   





Re-assembled and ready 






One of the challenges
was to re-arc one of the 
rockers that had straightened
over the last 70 or so years.   




Using my upholstery steamer I set
up a simple board steamer.





After about 30 minuets in the steamer
I clamped the rocker rail to an
arced jig then left to cool for 
24 hours.




While waiting for the rocker rails to cure
I worked on the rest of the frame.





Re-assembling step by step. 





Ready for stain and finish




Completed and ready to play  




Music to my ears











No comments:

Post a Comment