Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Antique Oak Chairs (1890's)

For centuries the claw or paws foot  
style has been featured on mostly high-end
furniture. 
As we reached the end of the 1800's with 
the beginning of the industrial revolution 
designs start to take on a more square and simpler design. 

                            (Click on photos to enlarge)





The damage on this pair was severe it would take most all my clamps and much of my patients to complete.                      More than a  complete tear down was needed.  

   
  
After removing the finish I set to the task of turning new oak dowels to replace the pine used from the previous repair.  



The process of cleaning, gluing, clamping and reshaping took a lot of time. 


Clamp 



Clamp 



Clamp 



Clamp 


And Clamp.
I think I went clamp happy. 




Assembled and waiting finish





"Finished"
I used a Golden oak stain 
with a Satin clear coat. 
Each chair took about 20 hours
to complete, they should last 
another life time. 
























No comments:

Post a Comment